Not to be left behind in what is becoming a very popular and easy upgrade for your “dumb” TV, Netgear today announced their arrival into the Android HDMI dongle market with the NeoMediacast NTV300D. Promising to stream your content from any Android device running 4.2 Jelly Bean or up, the Miracast enabled dongle is taking aim at Google’s similar Chromecast device.
As Google is still showing Ireland no love with their hardware availability here, devices like the NeoMediacast offer a great alternative to the Chromecast. In fact if the pricing is right for this device (we’re still light on details here) it will offer much more than the Chromecast as it has expandable local storage via MicroSD and OTG enabled USB.
Yes, there are many devices very similar to this already available from China and probably for less money, but having the Netgear brand associated with this device will offer a higher level of quality control that is not seen on the generic devices bought through eBay or the like.
We’ll update the article when we get more info on launch and pricing. Here’s an overview of the specs for now and you can check out this link for more info from Netgear.
- Instantaneously turn any TV into a Smart TV with the latest Android applications
- Easy portability of existing Android apps
- Customizable platform for curated content and applications
- Best-in-class wireless for best quality viewing experience even with HD quality video
- No compromise in accessing the best content available
- Wireless, intuitive sharing of content from mobile screen to big screen TV
- Bluetooth-enabled remote devices for easy access to content
- Access to premium content
- HDMI dongle form-factor for small footprint
- 1080p/60 full HD, H.264/MPEG4 video decode
- USB powered
- Micro USB (OTG) for secondary storage
- 802.11ac for high-speed wireless connectivity
- Micro SD slot for playback/storage
- Supports HDMI1.4 and HDCP2.1
- DRM support for Microsoft PlayReady™, Google Widevine® and Adobe® RTMPe
- Android 4.2+ supported; RDK-ready
- Remote control unit: RF4CE or Bluetooth supported