By Oscar Michel, Masters in Journalism, DCU.
Finally the first episode of season 7 of Game of Thrones has been released. The Starks are back in Winterfell, Cersei Lannister is now Queen of Westeros in King’s Landing and Daenarys Targaryen finally has left Meereene to go to war.
All these places are iconic for every Game of Thrones fan. But where have they been shot? Let’s go for a little behind the scene exploration.
Where are the Starks?
- Winterfell, home of the Stark family, is shot at Doune Castle in the Stirling district of central Scotland and at Castle Ward in Northern Ireland.
- In the Frostfang Mountains—filmed in Höfðabrekka, Iceland—Qhorin Halfhand, Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch expedition take Ygritte as their prisoner.
- Braavos is home to the Iron Bank—which is filmed at St. Jacob Cathedral in Sibenik, Croatia—as well as the House of Black and White, the temple dedicated to the Many-Faced God where Arya trains with Jaqen H’ghar to become a face-shifter.
Where are the Lannisters?
- King’s Landing is the capital city of Westeros, home of the Iron Throne. The Targaryens had it and now the Lannisters are in charge. King’s Landing is filmed in Dubrovnik, a medieval walled city in Croatia
- Myrcella Baratheon is living through the gorgeous Water Gardens of Dorne with her one true love Prince Trystane Martell. The Water Gardens are filmed at the Real Alcázar in Seville, Spain.
- Shame, shame, shame. The scene where Cersei has to walk naked around the city while being insulted takes place on St. Dominic Street in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
Where is Daenerys?
- Daenerys goes to the House of the Undying—filmed at Min?eta Tower in Dubrovnik, Croatia—to take back her dragons who were stolen by Pyat Pree who gets burnt by these same dragons.
- At the beginning of the sixth season, Daenerys crosses the Dothraki Sea—filmed in Bardenas Reales, a desert in Northern Spain—after she’s captured by the Dothraki.
- When Jorah and Tyrion are in the arena and Tyrion finally manages to tell Daenerys who he is before she flies on a dragon. All this action at the Arena of Meereen was filmed at the Bullring of Osuna in Seville, Spain.