Supported by Aviva and Dublin City Council, Techstars Startup Weekend Sustainability Dublin is a 54-hour event designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs in the area of sustainability. Run by a diverse team of organisers including Chloe Healy, Emily O’Gorman, Mayerling Marquez, Lisa Ryan and David Pollard, this event aims to provide a platform for entrepreneurs to establish startups that will operate in a sustainable manner.
“The key to understanding the future is one word; sustainability. The time is here for a new way of doing business – one that considers our economy, society and surrounding environment in every decision – from beginning to end. ”
- Chloe Healy (Sustainability Society, DCU)
Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through ideation, business plan development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekend Sustainability culminates on Sunday when teams present their ideas in front of a panel of thought leaders from sustainability and technology industries in Ireland who will award teams based on business model and customer validation. These include:
- Elli Shuggi – Global Head of Startup Delivery, Aviva
- Aideen O’Hora – Director of Sustainable Innovation, Sustainable Nation Ireland
Who is Startup Weekend Sustainability For?
Everyone! It doesn’t matter what you do or where you come from, anyone can help disrupt an industry and transform nations, regardless of what their skill set is. Startup Weekend Sustainability is designed as an inclusive event that brings all sorts of people together including:
- aspiring & experienced entrepreneurs
- developers and other tech-related professionals
- designers of all types
- non-technical talent (i.e. business, sales, finance, legal, etc.)
- students from universities and even secondary schools
- professionals looking to switch careers or build new skills
- and passionate visionaries lifelong learners and educators
“The best ideas spark from collaboration and diversity. Dublin’s inaugural Startup Weekend Sustainability vertical will be the springboard to create new purposeful startups by facilitating such collaboration between people from diverse entrepreneurial, developer, designer, and tech backgrounds.”
- David Pollard (Innovation Manager at Rehab Group)
The weekend is centred around action, innovation, and education. Whether you are looking for feedback on an idea, a co-founder, specific skill sets, or a team to help you execute, Startup Weekends are the perfect environment in which to test your idea and take the first steps towards launching your own startup.
Why Startup Weekend?
Startup Weekend is your chance to learn how to put your idea into action within a matter of days! Whether you are looking to:
- get introduced to the world of startups and entrepreneurship
- learn the process of going from concept to creation
- meet experienced, talented, and passionate entrepreneurs in Dublin, Ireland
- join or build an all-star team
- make meaningful connections and become part of a global community of 193k+ Alumni
- learn and practice new skills to take back to your job or beef up your CV
“Entrepreneurship is about more than just setting up a business. An entrepreneurial mindset is about being innovative, driving change and disrupting industries. It’s about taking action today to create a better and more prosperous tomorrow, and this kind of energy and innovation is exactly what one can expect from Startup Weekend Sustainability”
- Emily O’Gorman (The Enterprise Society, DCU)
What’s different about this event?
To show that sustainability is the future of business, we are ensuring the entire event is a green event itself! Every element from our branded t-shirts to stationary, from food to waste disposal, we are incorporating ethical production and sustainably sourced or recycled materials throughout.
Whether your idea is entirely sustainability focused or simply a business which integrates sustainable practices into their operations and strategy, we will provide you with the tools to get your idea produced in an incredibly short amount of time, test it with potential consumers and pitch your startup to a panel of judges.
To get a feel for the event, check out this Startup Weekend video:
The ultimate objective of this event is to empower you – in the words of Mahatma Gandhi – to be the change you wish to see in the world!
Early bird tickets are available today: http://communities.techstars.com/ireland/dublin/startup-weekend/13334
Twitter: @SWSustainDub #SWSustainDub