Dell EMC’s industry leading hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) portfolio has received a substantial boost with the availability of Dell EMC HCI appliances on the newly designed, award-winning Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers.
With this latest PowerEdge server platform, designed and optimised for HCI, customers of all sizes can expect even more powerful and predictable performance with even greater configurability for hosting a wide-range of mission critical software applications on Dell EMC VxRail and XC Series appliances.
“Customers transforming their IT are increasingly turning to hyper-converged infrastructure as an ideal foundation for simplifying IT today and for the future,” said Chad Sakac, president, Converged Platforms and Solutions Division, Dell EMC. “With HCI designed as a software-defined infrastructure, achieving ultimate performance and reliability relies on tightly engineering software with optimal hardware and its configurations. Dell EMC’s turnkey, pre-integrated, tested and validated HCI appliances enable customers to simply stand-up and scale IT infrastructure, backed by trusted dependability and performance, to help IT organisations more easily meet the growing demands of their businesses.”
According to IDC research, HCI is the fasted growing converged infrastructure segment, by far, with worldwide revenue growing 48.5 percent year over year in Q2 of 2017, now accounting for nearly 25 percent of overall converged infrastructure solutions sold. IDC research shows Dell EMC is No.1 in global HCI systems with 29 percent of all Q2 segment revenue and year over year revenue growth of 149 percent. Dell EMC VxRail is one of the fastest growing HCI appliances worldwide with rapid customer adoption driving more than 275 percent year-over-year revenue growth, more than 5.7X the market growth rate.
Dell EMC VxRail and XC Series Offer Substantial Advancements with PowerEdge 14th Generation Servers
Dell EMC now combines the simplicity, agility and scalability of its industry-leading HCI portfolio with the power and flexibility of next generation servers, designed and optimised for HCI. This offers greater performance and reliability to meet customer demands as HCI moves into core data centers and is relied on to run a wider range of applications and workloads.
Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers, based on Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family, include 150 custom requirements for software-defined storage (SDS) built-in, making it uniquely optimised for HCI. This includes improved support for SSDs in scale-out deployments; faster initialisation and streamlined data storage management; increased drive cooling for improved reliability; and, optional, common user interfaces across server and HCI platforms for Dell EMC systems management capabilities.
The upgraded Dell EMC HCI appliance portfolio offers customers significantly faster access to applications and data thanks to higher core counts, faster clock frequency, more memory channels, and faster memory resulting in up to 1.7x more processing power and up to 62 percent higher internal bandwidth.3
Dell EMC HCI appliances include the Dell EMC VxRail Appliance family, powered by VMware vSAN™ and jointly engineered with VMware, and the Dell EMC XC Series, designed for customers seeking choice of hypervisors, including Microsoft Hyper-V, or multi-hypervisor environments. These HCI appliances help simplify the entire lifecycle with advanced automation – with unique software that simplifies deployment, management, scaling, support and maintenance – making it easier for customers from day one.
Dell EMC VxRail Appliances on PowerEdge 14th Generation Servers
Dell EMC VxRail Appliances on PowerEdge 14th generation servers offer more powerful and predictable performance across millions of flexible configuration options to meet any HCI use case and more demanding, mission-critical workloads in VMware environments. VxRail Appliance customers can expect:
- Better performance for the most demanding applications with up to 2X more IOPS (input/output operations per second), and more than 2x faster response times
- Highly dependable performance with 9x more predictable response times sustained at sub-one millisecond
- More options for perfectly right-sized deployments with millions more configurations including more processor options, new SATA SSDs, additional network connectivity options, and more GPU expansion to precisely match customers’ HCI requirements without over provisioning
- Software-defined NAS support with Dell EMC Isilon SD Edge for remote office or edge-to-core file deployments, joining VxRail’s remote replication, cloud object storage and manageability capabilities
Dell EMC XC Series Appliances on PowerEdge 14th Generation Servers
Dell EMC XC Series on 14th Generation PowerEdge servers enables higher performance for workloads, faster networking speeds and new NVMe/SSD configurations. More specifically, with the new Dell EMC XC Series appliances, customers can expect:
- Increased performance for compute intensive workloads with up to 50 percent additional cores per appliance
- Up to 93 percent increased compute capability for workloads with storage density as a primary need
- Expanded use cases in VDI environments for sophisticated compute needs with up to 50 percent more GPU power
- Dell EMC VxRail Appliances on Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers are generally available today.
- Dell EMC XC Series models XC640, XC740xd and XC740 on Dell EMC PowerEdge 14th generation servers are generally available today.