The latest version of National Transport Authority’s Leap Top-Up app goes live this week with several new features being rolled out.
Some of those new features include:
– Ticket Sales: Customers can now purchase tickets directly via their app, without having to visit a retail outlet
– Email receipts for top-ups and ticket purchases to ensure greater clarity
– Detailed Ticket Information Screens
– Detailed Card Information Screens
Since 2016, Leap Card users with NFC enabled Android phones have been able to check their card balance and top-up their card with travel credit or collect pre-purchased tickets onto their Leap Card by touching their card against their phones.
This new enhancement will be useful to Leap Card users who most regularly travel by bus as, until now, they have had to detour to a shop to upload credit or ticket products bought earlier online.
Commenting on the new features the NTA said: “The app has been a resounding success, and we want to make sure that it continues to meet people’s need and expectations.
“The enhancements are being introduced in response to feedback from customers, and we believe they will improve the functionality of the app in a meaningful way.
“It is clear to us that the easier and more convenient we can make public transport, the more people will use it. Innovations such as Leap Card, the top-up app and our journey planner app do precisely that.
“We saw where last year, the numbers of people using, subsidised public transport services provided by Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann, and Luas increased by 4.4% and we want that trend to continue.
“That is why all our apps undergo a continuous process of enhancement and improvement on an ongoing basis.”
The app is available to anyone with an NFC-enabled Android smartphone from the Google Play Store now. As Apple do not allow third party access to NFC on their devices there is no iOS version of the app yet.
– Total Downloads/Installs: 138,000
– The average volume of total monthly top-ups on the app in 2016 was 66,982.
– In the month of March this year, there were 154,700 top-ups performed on the app.
– The average value of monthly total top-ups on the app in 2016 was €875,469.
– In the month of March this year, the value of top-ups performed on the app was €1,960,379.
– The total value of top-ups made on the app, up to 31st March this year, was €15,927,200.